HOT CROSS BUNS (Gluten & Dairy Free)
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour (or to make this Gluten Free - try mixing equal amounts of buckwheat, rice and tapioca flour)
½ tbsp bakers dried yeast
1 tsp coconut sugar (or other sweetener)
½ cup almond milk
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tbsp chia seeds + ¼ cup warm water (or 1 organic egg for the non vegan option)
4 medjool dates
3 tbsp olive oil
½ cup mixed dried fruit (sultana’s, cranberries, currants)
¼ cup GF flour
1-2 tbsp water (or until it is like a paste)
½ tbsp coconut sugar (or other sweetener)
½ tbsp water
1. Warm the almond milk to luke warm (not boiling), add the yeast, and coconut sugar, stir, cover and place in a warm place for 15 minutes (or until it is bubbly)
2. Sieve into a large mixing bowl the spices (cinnamon, mixed spice, vanilla), salt and flour.
3. Blend the dates (pitted), water, chia seeds and olive oil together then pour into the bubbly milk-yeast mixture, stir then pour into the mixing bowl with the flours.
4. Add the dried fruit to the bowl and combine to form a dough. Cover and place in a warm spot for approximately 45 minutes or until the dough has roughly doubled in size.
5. Turn oven onto 180 degrees fan forced
6. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and punch out the air, kneed dough and then cut into 8 equal sized pieces.
7. Kneed/roll into balls and place in a baking tin (at this stage they probably won’t be touching), cover and place in a warm spot for a further 15 minutes or until they have risen slightly.
8. Mix the flour and water together in a bowl and pour into a piping bag (or a snap and seal bag with the corner cut off), set aside.
9. Using the back of a knife, trace a + down the buns then pipe the mixing down the lines.
10. Place in the oven to bake for approximately 25 minutes, they should be golden. Meanwhile, mix the coconut sugar and water in a bowl.
11. Remove buns from the oven and paste the glaze over the buns instantly.
12. Serve warm cut open with a smear of nut-butter, jam, or on their own.